Date: 1/10/19 3:45 am
From: Terry Bronson <tbronsonbirds...>
Subject: Wood, Jackson, Mason Counties--Harrier, Barn Owl, Cackling Geese, Tundra Swans, Eagles, Turkeys, Kestrels,
Highlights of my all-day swing yesterday (Jan. 9) through the
aforementioned counties:

Wood County:

Northwest Drive--1 Cooper's Hawk, 1 Red-tailed Hawk, 2 American Kestrels

Belleville Ohio River Access Site--2 adult Bald Eagles, 1 Barn Owl (scope
view of ghostly heart-shaped face in recesses of nest hole in old lock
house), 6 Northern Flickers, 1 American Kestrel

Belleville Lock and Dam--2 Herring Gulls, 1 Red-shouldered Hawk, 1
Red-tailed Hawk, 1 American Kestrel

Jackson County:

Ravenswood Water Treatment Plant--10 Canada Geese, 1 Gadwall, 1 American
Wigeon, 20 Mallards, 4 American Black Ducks, 16 Ring-necked Ducks, 3
Buffleheads, 1 American Coot, 30 American Robins

Route 2 at Mill Creek--1 adult Bald Eagle

Mason County:

Krodel Park, Point Pleasant--2 Cackling Geese, 138 Canada Geese, 1 Lesser
Scaup

Route 817 south of Point Pleasant--5 Tundra Swans, 2 Great Blue Herons (in
middle of corn stubble field!), 1 Red-tailed Hawk, 6 American Kestrels,
1,300 American Crows. Note: the state farm I referenced in yesterday's post
on the swans is the McAusland Farm--not the Leonhardt Farm.

Apple Grove Fish Hatchery--65 Canada Geese, 4 Mallards, 36 Canvasbacks, 1
Bufflehead, 1 Double-crested Cormorant, 1 Northern Harrier

Robert C. Byrd Locks and Dam--1 Double-crested Cormorant, 2 American
Kestrels

Gallipolis Ferry gravel pit--20 Mallards, 2 Ring-necked Ducks, 2 Lesser
Scaups, 1 Ruddy Duck

Route 62 north of school health facility at north edge of Point
Pleasant--62 Wild Turkeys, 1 American Kestrel, 2,000 American Crows

Route 2 at Airport Road--2 American Kestrels

McClintic Wildlife Management Area (2 largest ponds only)--1 Mute Swan, 2
Canada Geese

In addition, I saw 3 or 4 more American Kestrels at various locations along
Route 2. Although this species is declining nationally, it seems to be
doing well in the Lower Ohio River and Lower Kanawha River Valleys.

--
Terry Bronson
Marietta, OH

Join us on Facebook!