Date: 1/9/19 10:14 pm
From: Justin Bosler <justin.bosler...>
Subject: [texbirds] Glut of Common Loons, NO Pacific at Hubbard Creek Reservoir
Texbirds,

I was finally able to combine a work trip with a belated chase of a Pacific
Loon that Martin Reid and Sheridan Coffey discovered at Hubbard Creek
Reservoir (Stephens Co.) back on 24 December 2018.(see
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S50925828).

After about 1.5 hours of effort late this afternoon I failed to locate a
Pacific Loon, but I did tally about two dozen loons, of which 18-20 were
definitive Common Loons. The most exciting part of the evening was right
around sunset when I was treated to abbreviated yodeling as they were
gathering to roost for the night. It was a treat and a first for me in
Texas. The audio recording can be found in the eBird checklist below:

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S51514875

Gone loon-y in Breckenridge, TX
Justin Bosler

Join us on Facebook!