Date: 1/9/19 6:31 pm
From: Glenn Williams via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Common Eider berhavior
Today I had two female Common Eiders in the Mystic River all the way up to the I-95 bridge.  This winter I have also seen them fairly far up the Pawcatuck River.  In Groton Long Point, a number of them were in a very sheltered cove that required them to enter Esker Bay, go under a small road bridge into the southern section of Palmer Cove, swim down a narrow 1000 foot canal along the train tracks, and enter a small section of Palmer Cove surrounded by woods and marsh.  A Canadian wildlife site calls the Common Eider the most marine of the sea ducks and Birds of North America says that they rarely enter sheltered bays or coves and with few exceptions, don't even fly overland.

Any idea why they seem to be venturing into areas where they do not normally go this winter?  I thought it merely an artifact of their increased numbers in our area until looking into it tonight.

Glenn Williams
Mystic