Date: 1/9/19 1:03 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Wolf Road Prairie & Little Red Schoolhouse Feeders Wed 1-9-19
Hello Bird People,

Quite a change from yesterday weather wise! When I started this a.m.
it was only 22 degrees with wind & flurries. Spent over an hour at
Wolf Rd Prairie trying to find the NORTHERN SHRIKE in the cold & wind
but it didn't look good until all of a sudden there it was at the far
north end at the top of a few dead looking small trees. I had looked
there several times before & it wasn't to be seen but at about 8:45
a.m. it showed up. So I had about a 4 min look in about 1 hour & 15
min of looking.
But I'm glad I finally saw it even if it was only a short look. The
only other birds there were 4 Mourning Doves, 1 Blue Jay, A "heard
only" Downy Woodpecker & several "heard only" Goldfinches.
Also had fly-by Canada Geese (2), Herring Gull (1) & Pigeons (8).

Little Red Schoolhouse Feeders (9:20-9:50 a.m.)

COOPER'S HAWK (1-AD, when it arrived all the other birds left in a panic)
Mourning Dove (6)
Red Bellied Woodpecker (1)
Downy Woodpecker (2)
Blue Jay (1)
Crow (1-2)
Chickadee (4)
TUFTED TITMOUSE (1)
W.B. Nuthatch (2)
Cardinal (1-M)
Tree Sparrow (2)
SONG SPARROW (1)
WHITE THROATED SPARROW (1)
Junco (11)
PINE SISKIN (1, overwhelmed by all the Goldfinches at the thistle feeder)
Goldfinch (14-16)
House Sparrow (30-35, too many!)

I walked the entire Black Oak Trail & saw zero birds & only heard a
few faint chip notes.
At the northern half of Long John Slough were 55 male & only 5 female
Common Mergansers.
This body of water is just north of the Red Schoolhouse in case you
didn't know what that area
of water is called.

Last stop was at the retention pond where the MANDARIN DUCK is hanging
out with about 50 Mallards. Can't count this probable escaped duck but
it was fun to look at it. Very impressive!
Thanks go to Susan Z for the original report & to John D for the
excellent directions.
(Hope the lady who locked her key in her car at the Mandarin Duck spot
was saved by the police.)

Bird-Of-The-Day to the finally seen Northern Shrike & Runner-Up to the
Tufted Titmouse.
Fancy-Pants-Bird-Of-The-Day to the Mandarin Duck as if ever there was
a fancy pants bird this is it.

Al Stokie
In Cook County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>