Date: 1/8/19 10:01 pm
From: David Irons <llsdirons...>
Subject: [obol] Re: NE Portland Yellow and Palm Warblers
Jay,

I just dove into the historic CBC data. The year was actually 1980. That year David Fix, my dad and I were part of the team that covered our old neighborhood and haunts in Eastmoreland/Westmoreland/Sellwood area of SE Portland. Over the years a number of different folks teamed with my dad and I to cover that sub-sector for the Portland count. My recollection was that we had five species of warblers in our area in the year that we had the Yellow. Indeed we had the Yellow, Yellow-rumped, Orange-crowned (2) and Black-throated Gray and Hermit in our area. As I recall the Hermit and Yellow with with a Townsend's flock at Crystal Springs, the Black-throated Gray was in the tall Douglas-firs on the bluff above Oaks Bottoms in Sellwood Park (in another Townsend's/chickadee flock) and the two Orange-crowneds were down along RR tracks on the blackberry covered slopes between Oaks Bottoms and the Ross Island Bridge. My dad dropped Fix and I off at the bridge and we met him at Sellwood Park where he had found the flocks with the Black-throated Gray.

I can't imagine that any Portland CBC team before or since has found five species of warblers in a day on the count. This makes a case for birding neighborhood parks in town during the winter months.

Dave Irons
Beaverton, OR

________________________________
* From: Philip Kline <pgeorgekline@xxxxxxxxx>
* To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
* Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2019 18:21:12 -0800

I refound Colby Neuman's Palm Warbler today just to the north of the Fazio
Landfill along NE Fazio Way and 13th Avenue across the road from the Oak
Harbor Freight Lines building. It was with a flock of 25-30 Yellow-rumpeds
and a surprise glowing adult male YELLOW WARBLER! Just in the nick of time
for Portland CBC count week.

I think Colby mentioned before that weekends may be a better time to visit
this area. The landfill is active with heavy machinery moving piles of
dirt around. There aren't any No Trespassing signs, but I'm not sure how
welcoming the landowners may be to birders, so all the usual warnings
apply. The older weeded-over piles of the landfill were a goldmine of
birding activity this afternoon when the rain ceased. The bramble thickets
on the east side of 13th Avenue to the north (and south of Gertz Road) were
also very active and I later refound the Palm Warbler here. I would not be
surprised if there are more hidden gems lurking in this area.

Good birding,

Philip Kline

Join us on Facebook!