Date: 1/8/19 5:25 pm
From: Lars Norgren <larspernorgren...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Gilliam County HUTTON'S VIREO
The Dalles is 40 miles from Arlington. Celilo is well under 10 miles from
the Dalles, then a short hop to the mouth of the Deschutes.
There is substantial forest at the Deschutes mouth SPs-- both banks. Then
various trees and shrubs east to Rufus. The big
sagebrush(A.tridentata)along the road to JohnDay dam , true to its name, is
over 10 feet tall in many cases. Arlington is a true desert, with under
10" annual precipitation, perhaps the driest town in Oregon. But it's not
miles from shore with a stiff headwind against the mainland.
Some people on this list may live long enough to encounter Wrentits
there as well. Armenian blackberry is frost sensitive, but it's moving
east along the banks of the Columbia. I believe l've encountered it at the
mouth of the John Day.

On Tue, Jan 8, 2019, 3:30 PM Alan Contreras <acontrer56...> wrote:

> That’s a dubious extension of the idea of the Columbia Gorge, for a forest
> bird. You’d think it would follow the “riparian” up one of the rivers.
> Arlington is far out into the sage and wheat belt.
>
> Weird to think of a Hutton’s flying across both the Deschutes and John Day
> river mouths. Yet Bewick’s Wrens may have. Next we’ll have a Wrentit at
> Rufus.
>

> Alan Contreras
> <acontrer56...>
> Eugene, Oregon
>
> www.alanlcontreras.com
>
> http://osupress.oregonstate.edu/book/edge-of-awe
>

> On Jan 8, 2019, at 3:12 PM, Lars Norgren <larspernorgren...> wrote:
>
> In the Columbia Gorge. At times a depauperate riparian zone , but riparian
> none the less.
>
> On Tue, Jan 8, 2019, 3:04 PM Alan Contreras <acontrer56...> wrote:
>
>> Not sure how far east they get in Klamath. I think only on the east
>> slope of the Cascades. Perhaps Kevin could bring us current on that.
>>
>> There are multiple reports from Malheur but I don’t think there is a good
>> photo. There may be one poor photo from maybe the late 1990s - anyone
>> remember that?
>>
>> As far as I know, yours is the first solid record east of the forested
>> Cascades. Pretty amazing to have one far out on the wheat-plains.
>>
>> Can someone enlighten us as to any records in e. Washington?
>>

>> Alan Contreras
>> <acontrer56...>
>> Eugene, Oregon
>>
>> www.alanlcontreras.com
>>
>> http://osupress.oregonstate.edu/book/edge-of-awe
>>

>> On Jan 8, 2019, at 2:36 PM, Adrian Hinkle <adrian.hinkle...>
>> wrote:
>>
>> During a brief stop in Arlington today, while birding the park across
>> from the gas station, I was shocked to hear the whinny call of a Hutton's
>> Vireo coming from a small pine tree. My mom and I were able to track it
>> down and get photos. As best I can tell, this is a first record for Eastern
>> Oregon.
>>
>> https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S51466194
>>
>> Best,
>> Adrian Hinkle