Date: 1/8/19 1:33 pm
From: Alexander Lin-Moore via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: Re: [CT Birds] Texas
Hi all,

First off, being raised in Houston I'm very glad to see that my home area
is held in such high regard bird wise :) Many people have already mentioned
some truly excellent birding spots in the region (Anahuac NWR, Galveston,
High Island of course), and if anyone is interested in visiting and would
like recommendations I'm more than happy to provide detailed info!

Regarding Paul's mention of the proposed coastal barrier around the mouth
of Galveston Bay, it is indeed a proposed dike/development structure that
would reach from Galveston up the coast to High Island, with the aim of
protecting Galveston & Trinity Bays and the Port of Houston, the busiest
international port in the country, from increasingly frequent and violent
storms (no comment). Since the town and world-famous migrant traps of High
Island are situated a little off the coast, it's unlikely that this
proposed development would destroy the birding habitat there, but it is
certainly an extremely serious concern for Bolivar Flats, one of the most
important shorebird stopover sites in the Central Flyway. As of this week,
the proposed "Ike Dike" is being met with a large amount of public
disapproval, especially from local residents of Galveston and the Bolivar
Peninsula, and the public comment period for its proposed construction has
been extended. Even the original designer of the structure, a professor at
Texas A&M University, has said that the current design is severely flawed
and should be reevaluated both to make it more cost-efficient and
environmentally friendly. Hopefully this proposal will be reevaluated with
local and environmental needs given priority. More information can be found
here and in other Houston Chronicle articles:
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Ike-Dike-creator-says-proposed-coastal-13507526.php

As it stands, Bolivar Flats remains one of the best shorebirding spots in
the country, and I recommend that everyone birds it (and everywhere else
along the east TX coast) as soon and as often as possible.

Alex
New Haven