Date: 1/8/19 1:00 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Chicago Botanic Garden (Local Interest Only) Tuesday 1-8-19
Hello Bird People,

Took advantage of the last of the warmer weather & did my weekly visit
to the Botanic Garden. Had a tough start as workers with leaf blowers
were all around the Regenstein Center which meant no Redpolls. But I
was able to recover by finding the Finches later at another area. All
water areas are completely ice free so the ducks I did find were
scattered all over the place & not in small ice free areas where they
usually are in the Winter. I had 23 species for the day.

Chicago Botanic Garden (7:45-11 a.m.)

Great Blue Heron (1)
Canada Geese (~100 early but all soon left)
Mallard (16)
Gadwall (6, at the B.Brown Pond as usual)
Goldeneye (14)
Red Breasted Merganser (3-M)
Hooded Merganser (1-M)
BALD EAGLE (1 immature bird flying around)
Kestrel (1-M w/prey which looked like a mouse)
Herring Gull (4)
Mourning Dove (1 fly-by)
KINGFISHER (1-F)
Crow (1 fly-by)
Chickadee (4)
Robins (4, in the red berry trees)
CEDAR WAXWING (33, also in the berry trees)
Starling (2)
Cardinal (1-PR)
Junco (23)
COMMON REDPOLL (30-35, on Evening Island in both the Alder & Birch Trees)
Pine Siskin (only 4 this week near but not at the feeders)
Goldfinch (6)
House Sparrow (heard 2)

Bird-Of-The-Day will be the young Bald Eagle & Runners-Up to the Cedar
Waxwings, the Redpolls & the noisy female Kingfisher.

Al Stokie
In Cook County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings: