Date: 1/8/19 11:48 am
From: Cole Tiemann <cole.tiemann...>
Subject: [Maine-birds] Question to viewers: Molt Migration in Canada Geese in Maine
Hello everyone,

My name is Cole Tiemann, and I am an undergraduate student studying
waterfowl. Currently, I am doing some research to see if resident Canada
geese (geese born in Maine) are traveling north for a molt migration, and I
was hoping that some of you have ever seen this phenomena in Maine.

Molt migration is documented in many populations of Canada geese. During
the late spring/early summer, geese that are too young to successfully
breed (often 1 or 2 year olds) and failed nesters (destroyed or otherwise
failed nests with no renesting occurring) migrate north to complete their
molt. Waterfowl undergo a complete molt, and are flightless for a period
of a few weeks. Some geese go north as much as 500-1,000 km from their
typical breeding grounds to complete their molt. Their migratory flights
would occur around the first week of June, low in the sky but in a visible
migratory formation. *I was wondering if any birder in Maine has observed
these flight patterns during this time of year.* I am in the process of
looking and goose band reports to see where the geese are being recovered
up north, but this would be valuable information to me.

Thank you.