Date: 1/7/19 8:49 pm
From: Harry Glasgow via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] Huntley Meadows Monday Morning Birdwalk
Over 30 birders gathered for today's Huntley Meadows Monday Morning Birdwalk, and we tallied 48 species.  Among today's highlights was a large mixed flock of blackbirds, and the two Merlins who have become regulars on our walks for the past month of so.
Canada Goose  200
Northern Shoveler  8
Gadwall  3
Mallard  55
American Black Duck  6
Northern Pintail  18
Green-winged Teal  6
Hooded Merganser  6
Mourning Dove  4
Ring-billed Gull  24
Great Blue Heron  2
Black Vulture  9
Turkey Vulture  1
Cooper's Hawk  1
Bald Eagle  2
Red-shouldered Hawk  1
Red-tailed Hawk  1
Belted Kingfisher  2
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  2
Downy Woodpecker  6
Hairy Woodpecker  1
Pileated Woodpecker  1
Northern Flicker  4
Merlin  2
Blue Jay  9
American Crow  8
Fish Crow  3
crow sp.  4
Carolina Chickadee  5
Tufted Titmouse  3
White-breasted Nuthatch  6
Brown Creeper  3
Carolina Wren  6
Golden-crowned Kinglet  6
Eastern Bluebird  2
Hermit Thrush  1
American Goldfinch  5
Dark-eyed Junco  7
White-throated Sparrow  15
Song Sparrow  8
Swamp Sparrow  2
Eastern Towhee  1
Red-winged Blackbird  20
Rusty Blackbird  65
Northern Cardinal  3

The Monday Morning Birdwalk has been a weekly event at Huntley Meadows since 1985. It takes place every week, rain or shine (except during electrical storms, strong winds, or icy trails), at 8AM (7AM from approximately April 1 through October 31), is free of charge, requires no reservation, and is open to all. Birders meet in the parking lot at the Park's entrance at 3701 Lockheed Blvd, Alexandria, VA. Questions should be directed to Park staff during normal business hours at (703)768-2525.

Harry Glasgow
Nancy VehrsFriends of Huntley Meadows Park