Date: 1/7/19 8:39 pm
From: David Sarkozi <david...>
Subject: [texbirds] Re: Matagorda County CBC challange
On Sun, Jan 6, 2019 at 3:20 PM Brent Ortego <brentortego...> wrote:

> Matagorda County produced 237 species during one day with the help of 123
> birders during 352 party hours. The CBC is made up of 12 sections with
> each reporting their daily tally. In comparison I attended 12 counts with
> help most days from others in my party and managed to tally 215 species
> with 108 party-hours. Somewhat less productive than David Sarkozi's 2.7
> species per party-hour. Our efforts, I suspect, were not designed to
> maximize species diversity but to help the compiler in the best manner
> possible to achieve their goals.

Don't sell yourself short, you did achieve a number 90% of Matagorda County
with less than 1/3 of the party hours. More party hours produce more birds,
but it is an asymptote, you find fewer new birds per hour as the hours go
up.

Brent is also right, we all also bird as a team in a CBC, birding too get
some special species. For example my hours on the jetty on the Freeport
count are there to get just a handful of species, but they are often single
party birds. Its not uncommon to come off the jetty with just 20-25 species
for the day. Its not uncommon to need 3-4 hours of staring out to see just
to get a single Northern Gannet.

--
David Sarkozi
Houston, TX