Date: 1/7/19 1:00 pm
From: Herbert Larner via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] Highland & Bath Counties
Hello all

Yesterday the 6th of Jan. 4 members of the Augusta Bird Club made their annual winter trek to Highland County to seek out the Golden Eagle as well as wintering Finches .
The temps started out at 30 degrees but quickly warmed up to 54 with sun shine . Our first stop was the feeders in McDowell which was a bust only Goldfinch , Junco , WB Nuthatch & a Savannah Sparrow . Next was going into Bluegrass where on Snowy Mountain we had three Golden Eagle & at the bottom of Snowy Mountain we had a Juv Golden flying low with two Red Tailed Hawks dive bombing the Eagle . On Snyder Lane the bird feeder are gone no birds at the one house . Dipped on the Shrike on Dug Bank Rd . Figured it was a bit windy . Most of the birds hunkered down yesterday . Misses in Highland Black - capped Chickadee , Pine Siskin , Purple Finch , Tree Sparrow .

We headed to Bath County & once in Bath County on Rt 220 the farm pond to the left had a few ducks -- Canada Goose , Gadwall , Mallard , Am. Wigeon , Ring - necked Duck , Hooded Merganser & 44 Common Merganser , Kingfisher & Bald Eagle . On the way to Lake Moomaw , we had Black - capped Chickadee , Titmouse , WB Nuthatch , Golden - crowned Kinglet , Winter Wren , Junco , Song Sparrow . The biggest treat was seeing about 8 + Red Bats flying around . At Lake Moomaw We had Pied - billed Grebe , Horned Grebe , Mallard , Bufflehead . All in all we ended the trip with about 40 species of birds .

Allen Larner
Staunton