Date: 1/6/19 5:26 pm
From: Kathi Johnson Rock <kathijr777...>
Subject: [wisb] Re: Lake Michigan
We have had very few birds this winter in our City of Madison yard despite
filled feeders and suet cages. We used to see many birds every winter,
especially many woodpeckers, screech owls in our nest boxes, and wild
turkeys in our area. Sadly, none of those birds are with us this winter.
It is a good birding day if I see a Cardinal, a Blue Jay and a Chickadee!!
Kathi and Michael Rock
Madison, Dane County, WI

On Sun, Jan 6, 2019 at 3:05 PM Judy Ettenhofer <judyett...> wrote:

> Daryl: I also have had very few birds at my feeders, for months. Has anyone
> offered a theory as to what is happening? Is this a result of climate
> change or something else?
> Judy Ettenhofer
> Spring Green
> On Sun, Jan 6, 2019, 7:55 AM Gmail <bhaunts...> wrote:
>
> > I spent part of yesterday checking out several sites along Lake Michigan.
> > It was surprising how quiet it was! Starting at Harrington Beach SP
> there
> > were the usual diving ducks off Cty D plus a few Herring Gulls. Nothing
> > unusual was seen. I then moved down to check the Port Washington harbor.
> > I do not believe I have ever seen it that quiet in the winter. On the
> sand
> > "bar" (north end) several Mallards and Ring-billed Gulls were loafing.
> The
> > rest of the harbor did NOT have another bird, literally!!!!
> > Kohler SP had the usual birds at their feeders, including a Red-br.
> > Nuthatch, but the lake had one bird, a Herring Gull.
> >
> > Sheboygan had birds in the harbor (hurray) which included the usual
> diving
> > ducks, Herring Gulls on the ice accompanied by four Great Black-backed
> > Gulls. North Pt had the usual birds, with the Harlequin Duck not
> present.
> > The best was running into Tom Woods, where we talked and birded together.
> >
> > As birders have commented and seen during CBCs plus regular birding, it
> > has been a very quiet fall and now winter. On most of the counts I
> helped
> > on there were extremely long periods of seeing no birds. On a few
> counts I
> > started cheering when I found a Starling or pigeon!
> > Daryl Tessen
> > Appleton,, WI

> > http://www.freelists.org/list/wisbirdn
> > Visit Wisbirdn ARCHIVES at: http://www.freelists.org/archives/wisbirdn

Kathi and Michael Rock
Madison, Wisconsin, Dane County
Zone 4/5
e-mail: <kathijr...>
website: https://sites.google.com/view/hummingbirdgardening/home
telephone: (608) 233-7397

"Hummingbirds.....where is the person, I ask, who, on observing this
glittering
fragment of the rainbow, would not pause, admire, and turn his mind with
reverence..."; (J. J. Audubon)