Date: 1/6/19 4:23 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Lake County & A Little Bit Of Cook County Sunday 1-6-19
Hello Bird People,

Well it's half time at the football game so I can do this report. Did
the usual Lake Co lakefront routine of Waukegan & North Point Marina,
then went inland to Van Patton & Independence Grove & ended with a
quick look at Techny North. I was with Bob Erickson until the end &
Andy Stewart was with at North Point Marina to help with the gulls.

Waukegan Beach & Harbor (7:15-8:10 a.m.)

Just not much happening at these 2 places. Had 5 species of ducks &
the winner of the duck count contest at the harbor was Common
Merganser in a runaway with 14 of them & no other species came close.
The only Gulls were Ring Billed & Herring & our only land bird was a
Downy Woodpecker.

North Point Marina (8:30-10 a.m.)

Did better here as we had 7 species of ducks & 4 species of gulls (old
style) but 3 species (new style). Ducks were Redhead (1-M), Greater
Scaup (7), Bufflehead (9), Common Goldeneye (6) all 3 Mergansers,
Hooded (1-F), Red Breasted (2) & Common (2). Besides the many Herring
Gulls
(~300) we also saw an adult THAYER'S GULL & an adult ICELAND GULL.
Andy Stewart had another Thayer's/Iceland Gull.

While at North Point we ran into Ethan E who told us about a Carolina
Wren at a walk-in section of Illinois Beach South Unit. Couldn't find
it at 1st but then it showed up so we saw it. As we were walking out
it started to sing.

Van Patton/Sterling Lake

Supposed to be a Snow Goose here but all the geese were in the river
not the lake & were strung out way to the south but no Snow Goose was
found.

Independence Grove

By myself here & saw over 300 Canada Geese but no other geese were
mixed in. Ducks were Common Mergs (11) & Goldeneye (49) & later a
found 2 Mallards & 1 BLACK DUCK.

Last stop was on the way home at Techny North where I had missed the
Teal last time but today the male GREEN WINGED TEAL was present but
the Gadwall were gone.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the Kumlien Iceland Gull & Runner-Up to the Carolina Wren.

License Plate Of The Day to one from Nevada & Runner-Up to one from
Mississippi.

But best sighting of the day goes to a car which I have only seen once
before. It was a LOTUS
which looked like a Corvette but even more jazzed up. I occasionally
see a Ferrari but not a Lotus. I was impressed.

Al Stokie
Having an interesting day mostly in Lake County

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: