Date: 1/6/19 2:00 pm
From: carol toepke <dmarc-noreply...> (Redacted sender carol_toepke for DMARC)
Subject: [wisb] Re: Lake Michigan

Ryan Brady
January 3 at 10:01 PM ·
The birding largely met my expectations on today's Clam Lake CBC. It's insanely quiet in Wisconsin's north woods this year. I walked 9.5 miles over nearly 5 hours and drove another 27 miles for 3 hours, yet still managed only 63 birds of 9 species. In fact, only 22 weren't Black-capped Chickadees and among them wasn't a single winter finch -- no crossbills, grosbeaks, redpolls, etc. But I did score 3 Canada (Gray) Jays, which I cherish at every sight given their downward trend here. Nonetheless, the birding results didn't matter much given the warm temps, sunshine, and snow-covered scenery.

Ryan Brady shared a post.
January 4 at 11:59 AM ·
I'll spare you the clicking and reading -- 85 so far compared to 218 last year and 38 the year before that. We're amidst a modest echo flight consisting of a high proportion of second-winter birds, i.e. the juveniles that gave rise to last year's big irruption.

Carol Toepke:
Everyone seems to be reporting low numbers this year....not sure why but I read most of Ryan Brady's reports to check the trend.
Sax Zim Bog is back to normal for GGO's after a 4 year run of irruptions. Last year they were in the double digits.  Number might pick up now as snow cover brings them out of the woods.
Freedom, WI Has only seen 3 snowy owls for the winter and they have been short staying and intermittent.  Last year we had upwards of 10.
Buena Vista had reports of only 1-Snowy Owl at a time over the past 3 months they thought they had 2 at one time...but never verified.  Lat year we had 8
Not sure what's up with Fond du Lac or Horicon haven't heard much at all.
Sad to say the least!
I wish there was a CBC FB page where the whole state would post there findings for each count .

On Sunday, January 6, 2019, 3:05:29 PM CST, Judy Ettenhofer <judyett...> wrote:

Daryl: I also have had very few birds at my feeders, for months. Has anyone
offered a theory as to what is happening? Is this a result of climate
change or something else?
Judy Ettenhofer
Spring Green