Date: 1/6/19 10:01 am
From: Dave Larsen - birding via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] Possible Rough-legged Hawk near Rectortown, Fauquier County
This morning, Candice Lowther and I were birding Rectortown Road north of
Rectortown when we spotted two buteos circling and hovering over a field to
the east. Because of the sun angle we were not able to get clear looks at
either bird although one might have been a young Red-tailed Hawk. There is
no safe place to pull off the road at this point. When we were able to find
a safe pull out spot the birds were out of sight. The only reason I suggest
Rough-legged Hawk is because the bird was clearly hovering like a Kestrel.
I have seen Red-tailed Hawks do this on occasion but always in a stiff
breeze. There was no discernable wind this morning. Please be on the
lookout if you're in this area. We did not report this in eBird.

Dave Larsen