Date: 1/5/19 9:04 pm
From: 'Molly Jacobson' via NHBirds <nhbirds...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Goodbye for now!
Hi everyone,I've had such a fun time birding in New Hampshire these past four years, from the goldfinches that once came to my family's nyjer seed feeders over a decade ago before I had any clue about birds, to the rarities like last year's northern wheatear or last week's white pelican that I felt honored to have a chance to glimpse so far from their usual ranges. However, tomorrow I will be moving to New York for the next two and a half years as I attend graduate school at SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF) for Conservation Biology, where I will be researching native bees in the Montezuma and Iroquois wetland complexes. While it's not the furthest from home I've been (though not by much) it is the longest for which I've ever left, and I'm starting to miss New Hampshire before I've even gone. I look forward to many new birds there, especially the opportunity to finally visit the Cornell Lab of Ornithology and Sapsucker Woods (plus, I am utterly determined to track down the flock of redpolls that continue on the shore of Syracuse's Onondaga Lake, since I missed them here!). Hence, you won't see me posting here for a good long while. However, I intend on remaining part of the google group, for loyalty's sake, and perhaps to torture myself with rarities I cannot see (though, I can't imagine it's as bad as Cape May, where a LeConte's sparrow, black-headed gull, painted bunting, two goshawks, sandhill cranes, and tundra swans all showed up the day after I left)! More than anything I'll miss being able to monitor my favorite haunts like Horseshoe Pond or Beaver Brook. I hope in my absence some birders will pay a visit to these places for me, so I can see from afar how the birds go about their lives even if I'm not there. I surely hope to find a way to be back for next year's Christmas Bird Count if nothing else. Happy birding everyone, and best of luck in the year to come!
-Molly JacobsonMerrimack