Date: 1/5/19 7:28 pm
From: Larry Meade via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] NVBC on the Northern Neck
Six members of the Northern Virginia Bird Club visited the Northern Neck of Virginia today. While it was somewhat rainy when we started, the weather gradually improved throughout the day and we managed to tally 53 bird species including fourteen species of ducks. We started at Lagrange Lane in King George County. Note that you must stay on the road to bird at this location. We found a nice variety of ducks here including Canvasbacks, Gadwall, Hooded Mergansers, Northern Shovelers, Buffleheads, Ring-necked Ducks and Northern Pintails. There were also Tundra Swans, Bald Eagles and American Coots. On the way out, I pished up a collection of sparrows which included Song, Field, Swamp and White-throated. Our next stop was the George Washington Birthplace National Monument which was open except for the visitor center area, Here we birded Pope's Creek and found Lesser Scaup, Ruddy Ducks and a very cooperative Hermit Thrush. We then headed over to another section of the park that ove
rlooked the Potomac River. Here we immediately found a Common Goldeneye near to the shore. We also found Surf Scoters and had a fleeting look at a Long-tailed Duck. After lunch we checked out Colonial Beach where we studied the three usual gull species to be found at this time of the year and marveled at a tree full of about sixty Cedar Waxwings basking in the sun. They were perched over a large berry bush and we watched as, a few at a time, they occasionally dropped down for a quick snack.

Larry MeadeMerrifield, VA