Date: 1/5/19 7:29 pm
From: Robert O'Brien <baro...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Double Alcid ID??
Well, although there was some confusion with Marbled Murrelet, the
concensus in Tweeterland
was indeed Pigeon Guilemot. But the interesting thing *apparently* is that
Merlin IDed it
as Thick-billed Murre when entered from Seattle, but correctly as Pigeon
Guilemot when
entered from Portland. Of course there still could be some mixup in the
input I guess.

Otherwise, does Merlin believe that Thick billed Murre is more to be
expected in Puget Sound than Portland?
Also note the remark below about John Gatchett (whom as I recall was once,
long ago, a big birder in Oregon),
so perhaps it is slightly more common there, at least of late...............

Here are the details from Charlotte Byers, the original photographer: And
yes, Charlotte, there can't be that many Nagi Abouleneins
birding on the west coast.

Hi Bob,

I had never used Merlin before the other day. I installed
it on my cell phone, then submitted the picture of the PIGU. It came up
with Thick-billed Murre and then, below in a series of very small photos,
apparently listed other nearby relatives: Pigeon Guillemot, Common Murre,
etc. Perhaps I made some kind of mistake, but that’s what I got. I
suppose the location might make a difference. The same day we took that
photo, a man named John Gatchet (big birder on the Olympic Peninsula) says
he saw a Thick-billed Murre, although he didn’t get a photo.

At this point I think my bird is a Pigeon Guillemot that
somehow confused Merlin.

BTW is that Nagi Aboulenein that wrote the note to you? He
and I follow one another’s photos on Flickr.

Cheers, Charlotte

On Sat, Jan 5, 2019 at 11:33 AM David Irons <llsdirons...> wrote:

> Don’t know what Merlin is calling this, but it is a juvenile Pigeon
> Guillemot.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Jan 5, 2019, at 10:17 AM, Robert O'Brien <baro...> wrote:
>
> The attached photo was recently posted from Puget Sound on Tweeters, the
> Washington equivalent to OBOL
> So, what is the ID of this alcid?
> AND what did the Cornell ID app *Merlin* come up with?
>
> I don't have any experience with *Merlin* but it has been discussed
> several times on OBOL & Tweeters and is said to work very well,
> using both the photo and distribution data from eBird.
>
> I have encouragement from the photographer to 're-tweet' the photo herein.
>
> Bob OBrien
>

> <IDthis Alcid.jpg>

Join us on Facebook!