Date: 1/5/19 6:07 pm
From: Don Morrow <donaldcmorrow...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [nflbirds] SMNWR --- Saturday
The Federal shutdown cancelled my wildlife tours, but that allowed me to
join Alachua Audubon for John Hintermister’s last official St. Marks field
trip as a leader. It was a long ten-hour day in which I logged 86 species,
including 14 duck species and 12 shorebird species. Both the Flamingo and
the Vermilion Flycatcher cooperated.

The Flamingo is feeding in the middle of Stony Bayou II and we were able to
view it from the cross dike that separates Stony Bayou I and II. Walk out
the Double Dikes; go right (watch for the White-faced Ibis on mudflats to
your left); just before you get to the South levee, the Flamingo is visible
to the East. Binocular views work, a scope is better. This is about a 2.5
mile walk, round-trip.

The Vermilion Flycatcher continues at its normal spot on Lighthouse Road at
the Double Dikes.

*Stony Bayou II*

White-faced Ibis

Redhead

Lesser Scaup

Teal (both Green and Blue-winged)

Bufflehead

American Flamingo

*Headquarters Pond*

Purple Gallinule

Roseate Spoonbill

Greater Scaup

Bufflehead

Common Goldeneye (five females)

Red-breasted Merganser

*Tower Pond *(over a thousand shorebirds, primarily Dunlin, SB Dowitcher &
Willet)

Reddish Egret

Plovers (Black-bellied & Semipalmated)

Marbled Godwit

Dunlin

Sandpipers (Least & Western)

Dowitcher (Short & Long-billed)

Yellowlegs (Lesser & Greater)

Willet

*Lighthouse Pond* (mostly Lesser Scaup & Redhead)

American Wigeon

Canvasback

Redhead

Ring-necked Duck

Scaup (Lesser & Greater)

Bufflehead

Ruddy Duck

Offshore there were Common Loon, Common Goldeneye, Red-breasted Merganser
and Bufflehead. There are Horned Grebe offshore and on the interior ponds.
We had flyby White Pelicans, Wood Stork and Cooper’s Hawk.

It was a good day of birding.

Don Morrow
<donaldcmorrow...> <donaldcmorow...>
Tallahassee, FL