Date: 1/5/19 10:32 am
From: Nagi Aboulenein <nagi.aboulenein...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Double Alcid ID??
Hi Bob -

I just ran Merlin on the photo, and it came up with Pigeon Guillemot as first choice, and Common Murre as second choice. The app doesn’t provide details about the level of confidence in first choice vs second choice, so I can’t tell whether it considered it a close call or not. But usually, if it has a high-confidence ID, it will only list a single choice, so the fact that it listed two possibilities gives some indication of it not being a very high confidence ID.

Best,

Nagi
On Jan 5, 2019, 10:17 AM -0800, Robert O'Brien <baro...>, wrote:
> The attached photo was recently posted from Puget Sound on Tweeters, the Washington equivalent to OBOL
> So, what is the ID of this alcid?
> AND what did the Cornell ID app Merlin come up with?
>
> I don't have any experience with Merlin but it has been discussed several times on OBOL & Tweeters and is said to work very well,
> using both the photo and distribution data from eBird.
>
> I have encouragement from the photographer to 're-tweet' the photo herein.
>
> Bob OBrien

Join us on Facebook!