Date: 1/4/19 11:53 am
From: Carl Bendorf <carlbendorf...>
Subject: [cobirds] Re: GYR
Carol,

Many of the Gyrfalcon sightings over the past month have been of the bird
perching on one of the very tall brown metal powerline poles along Trilby
Rd on the west side of Taft Hill Rd. Trilby Road is the first road to the
west from Taft Hill on the south side of the Larimer County landfill.
I've attached a quick map showing this general location. Trilby Rd west
of Taft Hill is gravel and doesn't have a lot of traffic and birders have
been parking alongside the road. You never know which pole the falcon will
choose so it's hard to tell you exactly where along Trilby to park. And,
of course, over a month's time, the falcon has been seen in a lot of
different spots in this general area--on different poles, buzzing the
landfill that is north of Trilby, flying in and out from various
directions, etc. If I had to bet, I would park myself along Trilby maybe
halfway down (it dead ends eventually in a private lane) and just settle in
to wait but constantly checking all the tops of powerpoles and generally
scanning the whole horizon.

Some birders will also enter the landfill to look at gulls and perhaps be
in the right spot if and when the falcon cruises by but you will need some
luck with that.

Suggest you also go back and read all the various postings and reports on
COBIRDS to get a sense of the variety of ways and places that the falcon
has been observed.

Hope this helps.

Carl Bendorf
Longmont CO