Date: 1/4/19 9:58 am
From: Joe Roller <jroller9...>
Subject: [cobirds] Swan ID based on leg thickness and foot size
Many years ago I noticed that adult swans standing on ice
were differentiated by leg and feet size, especially when they (the swans,
not the legs) were standing near each other.
Trumpeter: thick legs and feet like swim fins
Tundra: thinner legs, smaller feet.
These features are easy to see in the fine photos from yesterday.

As a lyric in the Fats Waller song (*Your feels too big!)* points out:
*"Your pedal extremities are colossal!" (sung to a Trumpeter)*

Joe Roller, Denver
amateur podiatrist

Another stanza goes:
"*There were four of us, me, your big feet and you!*
*From your ankles up, I'd say you sure look sweet;*
*From there down there's just too much feet*".

Of course, that sort of body shaming was acceptable in the 1930's.
This year, not so much.