Date: 1/4/19 9:15 am
From: Casey Rucker <autoblock...>
Subject: Another belated CBC report: Canaan
Hi, all,

Many thanks to the 21 intrepid surveyors who found 2,060 individuals of 48
species on the Canaan Christmas Bird Count, in spite of a chilly, rainy day
on December 16. Many observers trekked for many hours finding very few
birds. During Count Week we also found Northern Harrier, Hermit Thrush, and
Fox Sparrow. Surprising misses included Rough-legged Hawk, Purple Finch, and
Pine Siskin.

The outstanding birds of the day were our first Ruby-crowned Kinglet in 26
years of the count, a Brown Thrasher, and 33 Evening Grosbeaks. Our count
joins the club of finding a record number of Red-breasted Nuthatches during
this irruption year. We also recorded new high numbers for Mourning Dove,
Eastern Screech-Owl, Tufted Titmouse, Carolina Wren, House Sparrow, Song
Sparrow, Swamp Sparrow, and Northern Cardinal. We tied the record for Downy
Woodpecker.

Here are the results:

Canada Goose 1

Wood Duck 1