Date: 1/4/19 6:43 am
From: Felix Sangari via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Lesser scaup and ring-necked duck in northern Spain..
Happy New Year to everybody, in the first place.
Stilll missing you... anyway, the last week we have had a few North America visitor in Northern Spain, a lesser scaup in Santoña (https://goo.gl/maps/UkaY2GwtGoz), and a few ring-necked ducks, also in Santoña and in Asturias... Lesser scaup is seen more and more often in Europe in these last years, mostly in northen Great Britain, and in winter, but also in spring.. In my birding group we were discussing how these birds arrive here. Is it more easy in winter? Could the birds seen in spring being winter migrants to southern Europe that are going north in spring? I know that some of you have great knowledge of weather fronts, air currents, migration patterns, etc, and we have seen anything explicit about it, so every bit of information (that includes wild thoughts and hypothesis) will be welcome.
Best,
Félix J. SangariSantander, Spain..