Date: 1/3/19 6:30 pm
From: Stefan Schlick <greenfant...>
Subject: [obol] Cattle Egrets, Swamp Sparrows & Harris's Sparrow continue (Tillamook Co)
Garrett B and I went birding in Tillamook Co today. The occasional rain wasn't too bad, but the wind was strong and sustained.

The 2 Cattle Egrets flew by us along Boquist Rd in the morning. We didn't see any sparrows early, but both Harris's and Swamp Sparrow were coming into the seed slick at the bridge at 45.482790, -123.851548 in the afternoon.

There were 100s of gulls near the Tillamook Air Museum. Among the 6 species also were several Thayer's type Iceland Gulls. No unusual blackbirds were in huge icterid flock at Gienger Rd & 101, but we found many Brown-headed Cowbirds.

3 Snow Geese were in a white-cheeked goose flock off 12th & Elm.

An adult Northern Shrike was on Goodspeed Rd just past the first farm.

Another well seen Swamp Sparrow was along Olson Rd at 45.468636, -123.792601.

Add to that 6 Black Phoebes, a Red-shouldered Hawk and 2 Townsend's (but no Palm) Warbler, a single Eurasian Wigeon and many Canvasbacks (but no Redheads).

Of course we also tried for the Mountain Bluebird on Goodspeed Rd, but the wind/rain was really bad there every time we stopped by; we missed it.

Stefan Schlick
Hillsboro, OR

Join us on Facebook!