Date: 1/3/19 4:51 pm
From: Gmail <bhaunts...>
Subject: [wisb] KING EIDER
I helped Paul with his Kewaunee CBC today. My area was the northern section---Algoma. As I arrived in the general area before much bird activity I decided to start at the harbor area. I was surprised to find a person/hunter putting out goose decoys. This accounted for many of the geese out beyond the harbor and few ducks in the harbor (He was working on the lake south of the Chamber building.) As I was checking the waterfowl I suddenly saw him coming back to the harbor rapidly. Ducks and geese on the lake were taking flight (it was black with geese at one point). I hurried over to the north wall area to check that before he got back into the harbor. Among the geese, Mallards, goldeneyes and mergansers I suddenly saw a duck that I knew right away was an eider. A further check of the id points confirmed it to be a female King Eider! Viewing time was a few/several minutes when suddenly everything took flight. The hunter had moved inside the north wall but caused everything to
flush, including the eider. (You do not want to know what I was saying and thinking about him!) I scanned for several more minutes but nothing returned. I did return later that morning and again early afternoon but I could not relocate the eider. It may have returned later but much of the waterfowl had dispersed due to the boater and probably going out to feed.
Daryl Tessen
Appleton,, WI