Date: 1/3/19 2:00 pm
From: Herb and Sarah Myers <hesemyers...>
Subject: Thursday Birding
This year I am going to do a monthly bird count on a 2-mile loop in
Blackwater Falls State Park and on 1.8-mile loop in Canaan Valley Resort
State Park. I did the first counts today. It was quite quiet. The sky was
clouded and the temperature hovered near freezing with a brisk breeze.

In Blackwater Falls State Park, we had only three species - American Crow
(3), Common Raven (1) and Black-capped Chickadee (3). We did a little
better in Canaan Valley Resort State Park with five species - Downy
Woodpecker (2 - actively chasing each other), Hairy Woodpecker (1), Bald
Eagle (1 adult soaring high), Black-capped Chickadee (1) and a
Golden-crowned Kinglet (1).

The highlight was finally getting to see the Evening Grosbeaks that have
been hanging out in Canaan Valley. Our Wednesday group struck out on them
yesterday after two tries. We couldn't find them this morning on our way to
Davis. On the way back to Canaan Valley, we decided to try a final time. As
we turned onto Cortland Road off Route 32, a flock of birds flew across in
front of us. I stopped and counted 16 Evening Grosbeaks in the top of a
tree. They were chattering. I was only able to get two good photos as the
camera wanted to focus on the branches. No matter - I was happy. Herb
Myers, Harman, Randolph County from Tucker County

Join us on Facebook!