Date: 1/3/19 1:03 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Chicago Botanic Garden Thursday 1-3-19
Hello Bird People,

Hard to find land birds here today but water birds were o.k. Most
areas have open water but the
B.Brown Pond is mostly frozen & has no birds. Almost all of the Geese
were in the mud flat area by Dundee Rd with 300 there at 1st but by 9
a.m. all were gone. My 3 targets for the day were Redpolls, Siskins &
Waxwings & I found 2 of the 3. Here's my list:

Chicago Botanic Garden (7:30-11 a.m.)

Great Blue Heron (1)
Canada Geese (52 by Evening Island & 300 by the mud flat area)
Mallard (16)
Goldeneye (9)
Hooded Merganser (3-PR)
Red Breasted Merganser (2-M)
Winter Coot (1)
Herring Gull (4)
Rock Pigeon (14 fly-bys)
Red Bellied Woodpecker (1 or 2)
Blue Jay (2)
Chickadee (H-2)
Robin (only 1)
Cardinal (1-PR)
Junco (3)
COMMON REDPOLL (30-35, but very jumpy & kept flying away)
PINE SISKN (8, not with the Redpolls but with a few Goldfinch)
Goldfinch (6)
(Finch Species 10, flying around)
House Sparrow (8-10)

I also stopped at Heritage Park, Beck Lake & Big Bend Lake but the
only birds new for the day
were Red Tailed Hawk, Common Merganser & Ring Billed Gull.

Upon returning home there was a Downy Woodpecker in the big front yard
tree which was a big deal as I seldom see any Woodpeckers in my yard.

Bird-Of-The-Day will be the Redpolls &
Runners-Up will be the Siskins & the yard Downy Woodpecker

License Plate Of The Day to the Alaska plate that was missing on the
1st but was back today about a mile from home. Glad I saw it before it
returns home.

Al Stokie
Close to home in Cook County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>