Date: 1/2/19 3:25 pm
From: David Suddjian <dsuddjian...>
Subject: [cobirds] Eastern Arapahoe County Jan 2
I began at Aurora Res at dawn, finding an icy world. Judging by the
trackless snow, I was the first one on the dam this year. The reservoir was
nearly all frozen, with only scattered small areas of open water. Still,
there were were many *Cackling Geese* (maybe 30,000), and representative
*Snow*, *Ross's* and *Gr. White-fronted*. There were hardly any ducks,
given very limited open water, but a trio of *Long-tailed Ducks* was
present at one hole. 3000+ gulls were vastly *Ring-billed*, but I noted the
more expected larger species. Also: 1 *Northern Shrike*, 1 *Prairie Falcon*
and some *Bald Eagles*.

Moving east I explored several roads of the far eastern portion of Arapahoe
County, east of the I-70 arc - essentially from Byers and Deer Trail east.
A seasonally rare *Loggerhead Shrike* was near the north end of CR
241. A *Northern
Shrike* was along CR 38 at Deer Trail between Hwy 40 and East Bijou Creek.
I had a small number of *Lapland Longspurs* flying over CR 42 and CR
269. *Horned
Larks* seemed only moderately plentiful. Some snow cover helped, though.

I had a nice sample of raptors in that area east of I-70. They turned out
to be pretty diverse altogether: 3 *Golden Eagles*, 2 *Northern Harriers*,
1 *Bald Eagle*, 1 *Red-tailed Hawk*, 2 *Rough-legged Hawks*, 4 *Ferruginous
Hawks*, 1 *Great Horned Owl*, 1 *Short-eared Owl, *6* Am. Kestrels,
*and 1 *Prairie
Falcon*. The Short-eared was active mid-day vying with a male Northern
Harrier and attendant Rough-legged for interest in a fresh road-kill along
Hwy 34 west of CR 269.

David Suddjian
Ken Caryl Valley
Littleton, CO