Date: 1/2/19 1:49 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Whalon Lake Black Legged Kittiwake Wed 1-2-19
Hello Bird People,

Matt, Craig & Joe have all posted that the Kittiwake was still present
today so I'll do a list of all the birds seen today at Whalon Lake &
tell a little bit of the story of re-finding it.

Arrived at 7:15 a.m. & much to our surprise Andy Sigler & I were able
to drive right in to Whalon Lake even though the official opening time
is not until 8 a.m. Went to the deep lake (not the shallow wetlands)
where we found Mike Madsen, Craig Taylor & Matt Wistrand already
there.
Mike saw the Kittiwake fly in from another part of the lake & I got a
quick look at it through his scope. Then it started flying all over
the place & we thought it was going to leave but it eventually settled
down & scope looks were had by all present. After that it alternated
flying around with sitting on the water. Later other birders arrived
including Jeff Chapman (who I had not seen in a long time),
Davida K, Linda P & another birder. All had good looks at the
Kittiwake & one person saw it catch & eat a fish.

Whalon Lake (7:15-8:15 a.m.)

Mute Swan (5)
Canada Geese (~100)
Mallard (6)
Goldeneye (~10)
Hooded Merganser (8)
Common Merganser (~55)
BALD EAGLE (1-AD flying by)
Herring Gull (1-AD & 1-IM)
BLACK LEGGED KITTIWAKE (1-AD)

Later Andy, Craig & I tried to find the location for the New Lenox
Monk Parakeet or the nest but we were unable to find either.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the Kittiwake & Runner-Up to the Bald Eagle.

Al Stokie
In Will County in & out of the snow today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: