Date: 1/2/19 12:44 pm
From: Ben S <benrmnp...>
Subject: [cobirds] Tundra/Trumpeter Swan South Platte Park
Hi all -
Found a swan swimming in the South Platte River about 1/4 of a mile south
of mineral bridge at South Platte Park about two hours ago. It was swimming
around, and briefly walked along the shore, but began swimming south. It
was clearly either an immature Trumpeter or Tundra Swan. I am leaning
towards Tundra because of modest size (not too much bigger than a Canada
Goose) and bill shape. Other birds of note was every regular CO species of
diver at the SW end of South Platte Reservoir (the rest was frozen),
including 5 Canvasback and 14 Greater Scaup; as well as the continueing
Black Scoter. Other birds of note were a Prairie Falcon at south platte
reservoir, a male Northern Pintail on the river, a Hairy Woodpecker (heard
only), Northern Shrike, American Pipit (heard), and the continueing
American Dipper (heard only) near the Mineral Bridge. I am fairly sure the
swan is a Tundra Swan, but I will add these pictures so hopefully someone
can confirm or refute this:

[image: IMG_7376 - Edited.jpg]

[image: IMG_7380 - Edited.jpg]

And, here is a link to my ebird checklist for more photos/details of the
swan and other birds:

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S51223740 (South Platte Reservoir)

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S51223859
<https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S51223859>(South Platte Park -- C470