Date: 1/2/19 9:14 am
From: kelagory <kelagory...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: Re: IBET Black-legged Kittiwake at Whalon Lake Forest Preserve
Glad you both got to see it! I was hoping it might stay for awhile.
-------- Original message --------From: Craig <tnemec1...> Date: 1/2/19 9:31 AM (GMT-06:00) To: <matt.wistrand...> Cc: <kelagory...>, <ILbirds...> Subject: Re: IBET Black-legged Kittiwake at Whalon Lake Forest Preserve
Bird was observed catching/eating a fish, so it may linger...

Sent from my cellular device
Craig Taylor
On Jan 2, 2019, at 7:42 AM, Matt Wistrand <mwistrand...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...> wrote:

<!--
#ygrp-mkp {
border: 1px solid #d8d8d8;
font-family: Arial;
margin: 10px 0;
padding: 0 10px;
}

#ygrp-mkp hr {
border: 1px solid #d8d8d8;
}

#ygrp-mkp #hd {
color: #628c2a;
font-size: 85%;
font-weight: 700;
line-height: 122%;
margin: 10px 0;
}

#ygrp-mkp #ads {
margin-bottom: 10px;
}

#ygrp-mkp .ad {
padding: 0 0;
}

#ygrp-mkp .ad p {
margin: 0;
}

#ygrp-mkp .ad a {
color: #0000ff;
text-decoration: none;
}
-->

Still present but constantly taking off and relanding. The way it’s behaving it may not stick around much longer.
Matt WistrandWest Chicago, DuPage
On Tue, Jan 1, 2019 at 20:51 <kelagory...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...> wrote:

My wife Kate and I saw a black-legged kittiwake at Whalon Lake Forest Preserve in Will County Tuesday afternoon (January 1)  around 3. The bird was a small gull with a vertical black ear patch, gray back of head suggesting a hood, yellow bill with black base, black triangular wing tips, medium gray mantle and secondaries, paler primaries, and all white tail. Based on the lack of wing markings, I believe it is an adult. It was floating within a raft of common mergansers. It took to the air a few times, but landed back with the mergansers each time. It was in the middle of the lake and well within view from the concrete walkway on the western end of the lake. It was there when we left at 3:30.
Kirk LaGoryDowners Grove, IllinoisDuPage County

Join us on Facebook!