Date: 1/2/19 5:28 am
From: Paul Saffold <pesaffold...>
Subject: red-shouldered entertainment
Yesterday, 1/1/2019, we had an entertaining juvenile red-shouldered hawk in the back yard several times during the day. At times it was perched on a nestbox next to our pond. Watching goldfish? Several times it dropped to the ground, once getting something small to eat. Mouse or vole maybe, couldn’t tell. It appeared to be watching one of the numerous squirrels and we were hoping it would have a feast but no.

It hung out near the feeders keeping the small birds away but we didn’t see it attempt to get one. Does that count as a bird for Project FeederWatch? This is my first year doing that.

Paul Saffold
Inwood
Berkeley Co.

Join us on Facebook!