Date: 1/1/19 6:51 pm
From: <kelagory...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Black-legged Kittiwake at Whalon Lake Forest Preserve
My wife Kate and I saw a black-legged kittiwake at Whalon Lake Forest Preserve in Will County Tuesday afternoon (January 1) around 3. The bird was a small gull with a vertical black ear patch, gray back of head suggesting a hood, yellow bill with black base, black triangular wing tips, medium gray mantle and secondaries, paler primaries, and all white tail. Based on the lack of wing markings, I believe it is an adult. It was floating within a raft of common mergansers. It took to the air a few times, but landed back with the mergansers each time. It was in the middle of the lake and well within view from the concrete walkway on the western end of the lake. It was there when we left at 3:30.

Kirk LaGory
Downers Grove, Illinois
DuPage County

Join us on Facebook!