Date: 1/1/19 6:54 pm
From: Rankin, Gary <rankin...>
Subject: Owls to start the year
As David Patick reported earlier, David, Mike Griffith, Janet Keating and I had a good day birding to start off the new year. Before we met at 7:30 A.M. to bird along Rtes 2, 817 and 35, I decided to do a little owling in Wayne Co. I started about 6:15 A.M. birding along Lower Newcomb Creek Road. At my first stop I was rewarded with hearing an Eastern Screech-owl - my first of the year bird! Other stops along the road came up empty, as did a stop at Sugarwood Golf Course. So I drove over to the dam and marina area at Beech Fork Lake. As I exited my SUV, I was rewarded with the sounds of Mallards, Hooded Mergansers and Killdeer. I was listening to the Killdeer when a Great Horned Owl started calling from the hillside near the Visitor’s Center. Not having heard the Great Horned Owls that have spent the last few years in our neighborhood area, often being my first of the year birds, I listened to and enjoyed the low hoots for several minutes. But, by now it was 7:10 A.M. and time to leave to meet our group for the first birding outing of 2019. A very nice way to start the day, and spending it with owls and friends makes it even more special.

Gary Rankin
Lavalette, WV
Wayne Co.

Sent from my iPad