Date: 1/1/19 5:38 pm
From: David Ely <mountainplover...>
Subject: [cobirds] Clay-colored sparrow, Columbine Meadows Park, Broomfield
Happy New Year Cobirders,

This morning while walking my dog I spotted a hermit thrush on the west end
of Columbine Meadows Park in Broomfield. I alerted Matt Hofeditz and he
came over in the early afternoon to look for the thrush and anything else
we could find. We were not able to find the hermit thrush, but the
fruit-laden trees in the neighborhood were full of robins, house finches, a
few solitaires, and waxwings. Naturally, right after I walked the 3
minutes back to my house and got my boots off, Matt texted me. He'd found
a clay-colored sparrow. I geared back up and walked over with my camera.
Matt stayed on the bird until I arrived and it fed contently and allowed
close approach. The checklist link is below.
While the hermit thrush is rare in winter, the clay-colored sparrow is the
first December or January record in ebird for Colorado. This area would be
worth checking out if you're so inclined to visit Broomfield.
The specific location where the sparrow was is along the Columbine Meadows
Greenbelt Trail. It was about 50-70 yards west along the trail, past a
yard that has a "Beware of Dog" sign on the fence. The sparrow was feeding
on the ground right along the wooden fences here. The closest intersection
would be 126th Ave. and Hazel St.

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S51189910

David Ely
Broomfield, CO