Date: 1/1/19 3:15 pm
From: Stephen Mirick <smirick...>
Subject: [NHBirds] NH Coast (Chipping Sparrows, Snow Goose, NO PELICAN)
Jane and I got a late New Year's start, but birded the coast today from
about 10 AM until dusk  A tough day.  A relatively calm start, but
increasing winds that exploded with peak gusts of 52 knots at the Isles
of Shoals.  And while chasing a Harlequin Duck seen by Jim Sparrell and
Katie Wheeler, a gust blew over my scope.  Result was a broken tripod
and a broken Leica Spotting Scope.  :-(

Birds were OK.  A decent start to the new year, but we missed a few
goodies seen by others.  Included in the misses was a female Harlequin
Duck at Bicentennial Park in Hampton, THE Yellow-breasted Chat at
Odiorne, and sadly, the American White Pelican which has suddenly
disappeared after being seen yesterday.  Not seen by any other birders
either as far as I can tell.  We thought we had it along Jones Avenue in
Portsmouth, but when we got closer we realized we were mistaken:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevemirick/46561918771/in/dateposted/

Full List - 47 Species
----------------------------
SNOW GOOSE 1     Continuing adult with Goose flock at old Philbrick's
Hotel yard in Rye.
Canada Goose  13     Flock MIGRATING. Plus additional birds.
Mallard
American Black Duck
Common Eider
Surf Scoter
White-winged Scoter
Black Scoter
Long-tailed Duck
Bufflehead
Common Goldeneye
Common Merganser  1     Female in Eel Pond.
Red-breasted Merganser
Red-necked Grebe
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon)
Mourning Dove
Razorbill     Still several in Piscataqua River including a couple from
Portsmouth Fish Pier.
Bonaparte's Gull  1     Adult in Portsmouth Harbor.
Ring-billed Gull
Herring Gull
Glaucous Gull  1     Continuing adult in Seabrook on bath house.
Great Black-backed Gull
Common Loon
DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANT  2     Two flushed from marsh near Rye harbor.
We followed them south when they landed on Eel pond.
Great Blue Heron  1     Sad looking bird in New Castle.
Northern Harrier  1     One off Rt. 1A in Seabrook.
Cooper's Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk
Belted Kingfisher  1     Rye harbor.
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Blue Jay
American Crow
Black-capped Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
White-breasted Nuthatch
Carolina Wren  2
American Robin
Northern Mockingbird
European Starling
House Finch
American Goldfinch
CHIPPING SPARROW  2     At feeder along Parkersville Lane in Seabrook.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevemirick/45837970154/in/photostream/
Dark-eyed Junco
Song Sparrow
Northern Cardinal