Date: 1/1/19 2:17 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Northerly Island, Jackson Park's Outer Harbor & Montrose Beach & Hedge Tuesday 1-1-19
Happy New Year Bird People,

Last birds seen in 2018 = Canada Geese

1st bird seen in 2019 = SNOWY OWL

And from the movie All That Jazz:
When everything old is new again!

So here we are in a new year when every bird seen (no matter how
common) is new again.

Started at Northerly Island with Bob Erickson when it was still dark
as that's the time when Snowy Owls return &,
hopefully, sit up where you can see them before hiding from view for
the day. And, wonder of wonders that's just how it worked today. Just
before the actual sunrise there was one SNOWY OWL
on the eastern wall of rocks which sat there a few minutes before
disappearing. Then a little later it showed up again farther to the
north before flying off to he south end of the place. It's a great
feeling when your plan actually works as planned. Besides the usual
few ducks (Goldeneye, Common & Red Breasted Mergs) there was a Kestrel
sitting at tree top level. In the actual Burnham Harbor we also saw 2
Coots & a female Redhead besides more Goldeneye & Mergs.

Next we looked for other Owls between McCormick Place & 31st Street
but found no Owls & no Owl pellets either.

Then to Jackson Park's Outer Harbor where we found more Redheads,
Greater Scaup, Goldeneye & Red Breasted Mergansers & lots of Ring
Billed & Herring Gulls.

Then to Montrose where on the very windy beach we found the PIPING
PLOVER feeding in the still unfrozen "seaweed". The only other bird
with it was one Ring Billed Gull.

Next we did the hedge & lawn area where the highlights included one
Red Bellied Woodpecker,
EASTERN TOWHEE, WHITE CROWNED SPARROW (1-IM),the continuing HERMIT
THRUSH & a male Hairy Woodpecker.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the Snowy Owl & Runner-Up to the Piping Plover
which seems to plan on staying all Winter.

License Plate Of The Day to one from Rhode Island which was still
parked across the street from my house & to one from North Dakota on
Sheridan Road. However, the car with the Alaska plate about 1 mile
from home was gone. Can't get "em all.

Al Stokie
In Cook County today resting my slightly sprained ankle & not walking very far

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: