Date: 1/1/19 1:36 pm
From: Kathy Donahue <kadona11...>
Subject: [Maine-birds] Biddeford/Kennebunkport CBC on Dec 29th

The 59th Biddeford/Kennebunkport CBC took place on Saturday, December 29th
with 49 birders. The day was mostly cloudy with fog early, the
temperature went from the mid-30s in the morning to mid-40s in the
afternoon. The wind was 9 – 15 mph, gusting to 30mph in the late morning
and afternoon which severely impacted the bird totals. We had 78 species
and 8,783 individual birds both 10-year low numbers. But that doesn’t
include feeder data, so it could rise slightly.

We had a Eurasian Wigeon for the first time in the MEBK count. We had low
counts for American Tree Sparrow, and 6 count week birds including a Winter
Wren. Other less frequently seen birds were American Wigeon, Northern
Pintail, Ring-necked Pheasant, American Woodcock and Peregrine Falcon.

The highlight was that for the first time, the Maine Young Birders Club had
their own team. Some young birders started owling at 3:00am and still came
to the compilation at 5:00pm.