Date: 1/1/19 5:38 am
From: Wayne Hoffman <whoffman...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Eurasian Wigeon at Force Lake
Hi -

It is cool that you are finding Eurasian Wigeons, and I suspect multiple birds may be involved.

In recent decades Eurasian Wigeons have been common enough that I expect these could easily all be different birds.  In particular I would expect a bird on Sauvies Island to be different than the one(s) in north Portland.  In numerous places in Western Oregon and Washington multiple drakes can be seen at once.  A few years ago I picked 14 out of a large raft of American Wigeons on Yaquina Bay, and finding 3-5 is routine there.  I recall a report of 40 or more together on Skagit Flats.  When the Eugene Falcated Duck first was found (just below the Fern Ridge dam) it was in the company of multiple Eurasian Wigeons.  A little city park in SE Albany (Grand Prairie Park?) routinely hosts several.   In urban areas where they are not hunted, and have lawns to graze plus water to escape to from dogs, they tend to have pretty small winter ranges, again suggesting multiple birds.

One other thing - if these birds can be approached closely enough for good photographs, many drake wigeons can be distinguished by plumage differences.  Particular things to compare include 1) the shade and the length of the pale stripe on the crown - color can vary from pale cream almost to butter, and on some birds it extends farther back over the crown than on others; 2) the color of red on the rest of the head; as well as any broken feathers or other anomalies that might identify an individual.

Wayne
On 12/31/2018 10:18:22 PM, Timothy Steeves <timothydsteeves...> wrote:
Another place the Eurasion Widgeon could be seen is at Wapato Greenway Access on Sauvie Island.  I spotted a male Eurasian Widgeon last Thursday mixed with a lot of AM Widgeon.  Not sure if it is the same one seen at Force Lake, but always good to see one.
Timothy Steeves
On Dec 31, 2018 6:18 PM, "Lyn Topinka" <pointers...> [mailto:<pointers...>]> wrote:

the Eurasian Wigeon was first seen at Force Lake on the 29th by Brodie Talbot's father (in-law???) ... we had him there too a lttle after 3:00  ... on the 30th Brodie found him at Vanport and apparently so did folks today ( the 31st) ... so folks looking for him tomorrow (2019) try both places !!!

Happy New Years birding !!!
Lyn

Lyn Topinka
Vancouver, Wa.