Date: 12/31/18 4:02 pm
From: Harry Glasgow via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] Huntley meadows Monday Morning Birdwalk
The final day of 2018 marks the last Huntley meadows Monday Morning Birdwalk for this year.  Thirty birders gathered on this brisk Monday, inc we tallied 44 species.  Our highlights included a bright, cooperative pair of Golden -crowned Kinglets, a mixed group of Blackbirds, and growing groups of waterfowl.  As we just pointed out this is the final report of the Monday Morning Walk for 2018.  The best wishes for the coming year are passed to all birders from the Friends of Huntley Meadows who sponsors these walks

Canada Goose  300
Northern Shoveler  12
Gadwall  16
Mallard  100
American Black Duck  3
Northern Pintail  38
Green-winged Teal  6
Hooded Merganser  3
Ruddy Duck  2
Wild Turkey  7
Mourning Dove  6
Ring-billed Gull  20
Great Blue Heron  3
Bald Eagle  1
Red-shouldered Hawk  1
Barred Owl  1
Belted Kingfisher  2
Red-headed Woodpecker  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  7
Downy Woodpecker  5
Hairy Woodpecker  1
Pileated Woodpecker  3
Northern Flicker  2
Blue Jay  8
American Crow  21
Fish Crow  5
crow sp.  50
Carolina Chickadee  7
Tufted Titmouse  3
White-breasted Nuthatch  5
Brown Creeper  3
Carolina Wren  9
Golden-crowned Kinglet  2
Eastern Bluebird  2
American Robin  4
Gray Catbird  1
Fox Sparrow  1
White-throated Sparrow  12
Song Sparrow  6
Swamp Sparrow  2
Red-winged Blackbird  20
Rusty Blackbird  8
blackbird sp.  20
Northern Cardinal  10

The Monday Morning Birdwalk has been a weekly event at Huntley Meadows since 1985. It takes place every week, rain or shine (except during electrical storms, strong winds, or icy trails), at 8AM (7AM from approximately April 1 through October 31), is free of charge, requires no reservation, and is open to all. Birders meet in the parking lot at the Park's entrance at 3701 Lockheed Blvd, Alexandria, VA. Questions should be directed to Park staff during normal business hours at (703)768-2525.

Harry Glasgow
Nancy VehrsFriends of Huntley Meadows Park