Date: 12/31/18 3:53 pm
From: Mary Beth Stowe <mbstowe...>
Subject: [texbirds] Timberline Sparrow?
Hi, all!

I was doing a little research on the Handbook of Birds of the World on-line
site, and discovered that the race of Brewer’s Sparrow that gets into west
Texas (and sometimes here in the Valley, I guess) is actually the Timberline
Sparrow (Spizella breweri taverneri)! Apparently the nominate race doesn’t
get any further west than central Arizona! Here’s what the site said for
the nominate race: “S Canada (extreme S British Columbia, S Alberta and SW
Saskatchewan) and W USA from E Montana, SW North Dakota and NE Colorado S to
E & S California, S Nevada, C Arizona and NW New Mexico; non-breeding from S
edge of breeding range S to NW & W Mexico (Baja California E to Coahuila,
Nuevo León, San Luis Potosí, Guanajuato and Jalisco).”

Here's the range for “Timberline” Sparrow: “SE Alaska and W Canada (SW
Yukon and NW & SE British Columbia and W Alberta) and N USA (W Montana);
non-breeding range SW USA (Arizona E to W Texas) and probably N Mexico.”

Thoughts?

Mary Beth Stowe

Alamo, TX

www.miriameaglemon.com <http://www.miriameaglemon.com>