Date: 12/31/18 3:53 pm
From: Roger Frieden <roger...>
Subject: [NHBirds] A Happy Finish to 2018!
We decided to make a quick run up north today, Dec. 31, to try and get in a few last northern species for the year. In Plymouth, we stopped for breakfast in the car across from the PSU Ice Arena and were rewarded with a small flock of 8 Cedar Waxwings followed by 18 Bohemian Waxwings! We then went to Trudeau Road where, after walking for over an hour, we only saw a few birds. On to Pondicherry where we walked all the way to Little Cherry Pond and again saw only a few birds (but the scenery was beautiful.) On the way back along the Cherry Pond access trail, while congratulating ourselves for at least not falling on the ice and getting injured, Roger spotted the prizeā€”a BLACK-BACKED WOODPECKER in full view right next to the trail! It was only the second one we had ever seen, and it was literally the last bird we saw in 2019.

Kathryn and Roger Frieden