Date: 12/31/18 1:58 pm
From: Karl Schneck <keschneckdds...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Update on refuge closures due to government shutdown
Or... yesterday I drove the "auto tour" route of the Sacramento National
Wildlife Refuge... the only thing I noticed that was different was no fee
was collected because the sign said they didn't have anyone to deal with
the collection box.
Karl Schneck

"As age comes on, one source of enjoyment after another is closed, but
nature's sources never fail." John Muir

On Mon, Dec 31, 2018 at 9:29 AM <clearwater...> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Trying to find some more information on the situation at Willamette Valley
> refuges, I found this link:
>

> https://www.fws.gov/home/National-Wildlife-Refuge-System-Closure-Determination-and-Notice.pdf
>
> which outlines shutdown policies. It states:
>
> "... as of December 26, 2018, all units of the National Wildlife Refuge
> System nationwide are closed to public visitation and use, subject to the
> conditions and exceptions described below. This national closure
> determination and notice is necessitated by a lapse in funds appropriated
> by the United States Congress for the operation of the National Wildlife
> Refuge System and will remain in effect until funding is restored."
>
> The key conditions and exceptions relevant for local birders and other
> members of the wildlife-viewing public would seem to be:
>
> "2. Members of the public who are currently visiting certain units of the
> National Wildlife Refuge System must vacate the refuge immediately.
> However, where public access to refuge lands does not require the presence
> of a federal employee or contractor, activities on refuge lands will be
> allowed to continue on the same terms as before the appropriations lapse,
> including any activities conducted under a previously issued permit."
> "7. This closure determination and notice does not apply to roads that
> pass through units of the National Wildlife Refuge System which provide
> primary access between points located outside of the refuges. Members of
> the public may continue to use those roads during the shutdown period.
> However, refuge managers may not expend any appropriated funds to maintain
> or repair those roads. Moreover, refuge managers may close those roads, or
> portions of those roads ... if such closure is warranted by weather, poor
> road conditions, or other circumstances."
>
> The last paragraph would seem to apply to Bruce Rd. and McFarland Rd. at
> Finley, Coville Rd. at Baskett Slough NWR, and Buena Vista Rd. at Ankeny
> NWR. It might also apply to Finley (Refuge) Rd., though there's room for
> interpretation.
>
> Word last week was that someone dumped off a couch at McFadden Marsh.
> Hopefully dumping incidents or other vandalism won't become common as the
> shutdown drags on. If you do see things like this happening, please contact
> local law enforcement.
>
> --
> Joel Geier
> Camp Adair area north of Corvallis