Date: 12/31/18 12:16 pm
From: Steve Jaggers <sjjag...>
Subject: [obol] Sauvie Island yesterday, late report. Odd goose at Wapato
Nine members of the East Portland Birding Club visited the island on a hunt day(less desirable but worked out)... highlights below.

Coon Point showed 14 or more Bald Eagles, 8 or more presumed Tundra Swans at distance on the lake. Three confirmed by call Trumpeter Swans flew over. Many Sandhill Cranes now on the island.

The East Side viewing platform was a surprisingly good spot in spite of the active hunting. With patience we found 3 pair of Redhead, a pair of Canvasback and random Wood ducks, P-B grebes and hundreds of Coots.

Rentenauur Road gave us a Red Shouldered Hawk, many cranes, two Vesper Sparrows.

We had a report of a Golden Eagle there but were unable to confirm it.

Wapato Greenway pond was loaded with waterfowl of many types and oddly a Canada x something goose with the Baranacle like head markings and orange legs. This was similar to the Fernhill Wetlands bird of a few months ago and another sighting at Fern Ridge if I recall.

Steve Jaggers

Join us on Facebook!