Date: 12/30/18 11:08 pm
From: David Irons <llsdirons...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Influxes
Greetings all,

The numbers of gulls (large and small species) in the Willamette Valley during winter are quite fluid, with lots of weather-related movement back and forth between the outer coast and inland valleys. In the absence of significant rain for a period of days Willamette Valley fields and pastures dry out and gulls dissipate. When strong wet weather systems batter the outer coast and fill the inland valleys with rain pools gulls move into the valley by the thousands. The most obvious example of this is the open country immediately surround the large landfill SW of McMinnville. There are days when finding even a small flock of large pink-footed gulls is a challenge and other times when 2000-2500 (mostly Glaucous-winged and Glaucous-winged X Western) gulls carpet the fields in the area.

In the southern Willamette Valley Ring-billed Gull is by an order of magnitude the most numerous field gull, with more modest numbers of large pink-footed gulls, Mew and some California Gulls mixed in. Unlike most other gulls, Ring-billeds seem to stick around in numbers even when fields and pastures start drying out. There numbers on the outer coast during winter are comparatively modest. Mew Gulls like wetter muddier fields and pastures. They can be found inland in modest numbers mixed in with both large otherwise pure flocks of Ring-billeds and also mixed in with the larger pink-footed gulls (Glaucous-winged, Herring, "Thayer's" Iceland and Western X Glaucous-winged hybrids). One thing to look for when you see flocks of Ring-billeds with Mews mixed together. If there is a wet trough or a puddle the Mews are usually in and immediately around the water while the Ring-billeds are more inclined to be on higher and drier ground. Mews often prevail as the most numerous gull in wet/semi-flooded coastal dairy pastures. For example, the Tillamook Bay CBC has recorded as many as 20,000 Mews in some years. They also like muddy estuary substrates like what is found in Tillamook Bay and the Idaho Flats section of Yaquina Bay at low tide.

Dave Irons
Beaverton, OR