Date: 12/30/18 4:35 pm
From: Rowe, Richard A, 'Dick' via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] South Carolina - Kiawah Island - Birding trip photos 2 - Loggerhead Shrike and Snowy Egret
Here is my second set of photos. We were lucky enough to locate a Loggerhead Shrike out near the beach on the famous Ocean Course at Kiawah. It was very active and at times was chasing other birds. Also, on our last morning we came across a feeding group of Snowy Egrets and Wood Storks. They were so intent on feeding that we were able to walk right up to them. Out on the beach, we found several large, mixed groups of shorebirds - gulls, terns, and peeps.

In this batch of photos I've posted some shots of Snowy Egret, Tri-colored Heron, Caspian Tern, Loggerhead Shrike, Dunlin, Little Blue Heron, and a head shot of a very large alligator. I would guess this guy was 12 feet - he was huge.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/vmibiology

Dick Rowe
VMI Biology Dept