Date: 12/30/18 3:16 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Lake Calumet Area & Jackson Park Harbors Sunday 12-30-18
Hello Bird People,

Since it's supposed to be a rainy day tomorrow I hoped to have a good
day today to end the year.
But that did not happen as I found few birds of a special nature. As
most of the places I visited today had few birds I won't list my birds
seen by location but just by species & then I'll point out where I saw
those few "sort of" interesting birds.

CACKLING GEESE (2 with a large flock of Canada Geese at Calumet Park)

Black Duck (1 pair at Dead Stick Pond)

BALD EAGLE (1-IM flying over the Stony Island dumps)

Kestrel (1-M off Ave O after leaving Powderhorn & 2 together at
Steelworkers Park)

Monk Parakeet (4 flying toward the Skyway)

Coot (1 at Jackson Park's Outer Harbor)

The Inner/Outer Harbors at Jackson Park had a nice mix of ducks with
Redhead, Greater Scaup,
Goldeneye, Hooded Merganser (1-M) & Red Breasted Mergansers.

I failed to find the Mockingbird reported on ebird by 3 folks
yesterday near Big Marsh & the Stony Island dumps but that's where the
Eagle & 2 Red Tailed Hawks were seen. The only Gulls seen were Ring
Billed & Herring & I looked but did not find any Snowy Owls at 3
locations. Most of the shallow water areas like Dead Stick, Big Marsh
& Indian Ridge were frozen & birdless.

Bird-Of-The-Day will be the 2 Cackling Geese & Runner-Up will be the
young Bald Eagle.

But I did have a good license plate today which was one from Vermont.
That's only the 2nd one I've seen in all of 2018! I usually see 3 or 4
of that one.

Al Stokie
In southern Cook County today not having a big finish

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: