Date: 12/30/18 9:24 am
From: Jack Swatt via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Highlights of the Bristol CBC
I'm still awaiting a few more lists but so far the results of the 29th Bristol CBC (and 3rd consecutive since the restart) are looking good.  Overall numbers of birds are way down, but numbers of species is consistent and quite a few new species were added to the count list.  A GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GOOSE was found by Buzz Devine and Hani Helayel on Wilton Pond in Plymouth. A GREAT CORMORANT  and a CACKLING GOOSE were found in Farmington by Michael Aronson, Ken Elkins and Glen Somogie. Turkey Vulture, Black Vulture, Bufflehead and Mute Swan round out the new species added to the count, none of which are rare, but just seem to have eluded us over the last couple of years. Field Sparrow was a count week species, but 3 were seen this year on count day.  A MERLIN was seen in Farmington during the count week period, but not on count day.  So far 9 species have totaled new count highs in our limited data set and a few more are close, so that number may go up once all the numbers are in.
Jack Swatt
Wolcott CT